FRESH AIR

Decisions need to be made after UNRWA director’s departure

November 8, 2019 | Naomi Levin

Director general Pierre Krahenbuhl has stood aside during a UN investigation into corruption, bullying and mismanagement at UNRWA.
Director general Pierre Krahenbuhl has stood aside during a UN investigation into corruption, bullying and mismanagement at UNRWA.

It is the perfect time for Australia to review its sizeable contribution to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), following the departure of its director-general Pierre Krahenbuhl.

In July this year, news emerged of long-standing allegations of corruption, bullying and mismanagement against senior UNRWA figures, including Krahenbuhl.

The allegations were passed to the UN’s Office of Internal Oversight Services. This week, it made some preliminary findings of “management issues”. Details have of the investigation not yet been published. However, based on those findings, Krahenbuhl has been replaced by Christian Saunders, another long-time UNRWA staff member.

Australia is a significant contributor to UNRWA and is at the tail-end of an $80 million, four-year funding deal with the agency.

During October’s Senate Estimates hearings, a senior official from Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed that Australia had not suspended its funding to UNRWA during the investigation.

While Belgium, the Netherlands, and even Krahenbuhl’s own country, Switzerland, all chose to withhold funding to UNRWA during the investigation, Australia did not.

Ralph King, Australia’s former ambassador to Saudi Arabia and Egypt and now a senior Canberra-based diplomat, told Senate Estimates: “The allegations are being investigated by the UN Office of Internal Oversight Services. We’ve spoken to them. We expect full transparency. We are withholding, as we always do, the final tranche of our payment this year, but we have not suspended our payments to UNRWA.”

He added: “We’re waiting for the outcome of that report.”

Given some serious preliminary findings have now been made, it is likely Australia’s Foreign Minister and her Department are thinking seriously about Australia’s future contribution to UNRWA.

It’s difficult to believe that Australians would be pleased to be knowingly contributing – via our foreign aid budget – to international organisations that use those funds to upgrade travel, employ family members and bully co-workers, as UNRWA staff are alleged to have done.

Like other donors, Australia would be wise to consider, and undoubtedly is, the call made by Israel’s Foreign Minister Israel Katz regarding UNRWA. Katz has asked international donors to find new ways to reach those Palestinians who really need assistance.

“UNRWA’s conduct illustrates that the agency is part of the problem, and not part of the solution,” Katz said.

“The international community needs to find a new model that will provide humanitarian assistance to those who truly need it and must remove from the agenda the futile idea of the return of the refugees.”

Aside from these recent findings, serious accusations have previously been levelled at the organisation on three main fronts.

First, that it perpetuates the conflict by discouraging Palestinians from permanently resettling and uses a definition of Palestinian refugees inconsistent with established practice in all other refugee populations. Second, that UNRWA’s remit effectively promises the 5.5 million Palestinians a legally baseless and functionally impossible “right of return” to Israel, making the Israeli-Palestinian conflict more difficult to resolve.

Finally, that it seriously lacks neutrality in its operations, including using anti-Israel, and even antisemitic, texts to teach young Palestinians in UNRWA-run schools and employing members of terrorist groups, like Hamas, as teachers and officials.

RELATED ARTICLES

Image: Shutterstock

Media Matters: The ABC’s blind spot

Aug 17, 2025 | Fresh AIR
Fighters and military vehicles belonging to Syrian government forces intervene in the city of Sweida to enforce a ceasefire between Druze factions and Bedouin tribes. Syria, July 20, 2025 (Image: Shutterstock)

Druze crisis tested Israel’s Syria strategy

Jul 31, 2025 | Featured, Fresh AIR
Image: Shutterstock

Media Matters: Smoke and Ire over IHRA

Jul 30, 2025 | Featured, Fresh AIR
President Bill Clinton walks Prime Minister Ehud Barak of Israel and Yasser Arafat of the Palestinian Authority at Camp David, Maryland, July 2000 (Image: Wikipedia)

The silver anniversary of the silver bullet

Jul 29, 2025 | Featured, Fresh AIR
A protest in response to the death in detention of Mahsa Amini by Iran's morality police in Tehran (Image: Tolga Ildun/ Shutterstock)

Diaspora Iranians hope for more attention to the plight of the Iranian people

Jul 24, 2025 | Featured, Fresh AIR
Image: Shutterstock

An AIJAC letter the Sydney Morning Herald refused to publish

Jul 14, 2025 | Featured, Fresh AIR
D11a774c 2a47 C987 F4ce 2d642e6d9c8d

Bibi in DC, the Houthi threat and the politicised ICJ opinion

Jul 26, 2024 | Update
Image: Shutterstock

Nine months after Oct. 7: Where Israel stands now

Jul 10, 2024 | Update
Palestinian Red Crescent workers from Al-Najjar Hospital in the city of Rafah, south of the Gaza Strip (Image: Shutterstock)

Hamas’ impossible casualty figures

Mar 28, 2024 | Update
455daec3 C2a8 8752 C215 B7bd062c6bbc

After the Israel-Hamas ceasefire for hostages deal

Nov 29, 2023 | Update
Screenshot of Hamas bodycam footage as terrorists approach an Israeli vehicle during the terror organisation's October 7, 2023 attack in southern Israel, released by the IDF and GPO (Screenshot)

Horror on Video / International Law and the Hamas War

Oct 31, 2023 | Update
Sderot, Israel. 7th Oct, 2023. Bodies of dead Israelis lie on the ground following the attacks of Hamas (Image: Ilia Yefimovich/dpa/Alamy Live News)

Israel’s Sept. 11, only worse

Oct 11, 2023 | Update
Screenshot 2025 08 29 At 7.49.54 am

IRGC has ‘dramatically increased’ number of global operations: Bren Carlill on Sky News

Aug 29, 2025 | Featured, Video
Screenshot

Australia-Israel relationship “at its lowest ebb”: Joel Burnie on Sky News

Aug 21, 2025 | Featured, Video
Screenshot

“Disappointed but not shocked” by Tony Burke’s comments: Jamie Hyams on Sky News

Aug 20, 2025 | Featured, Video
Screenshot

Australia-US relationship at ‘record low’ following ‘concerning’ Palestine move: Joel Burnie on Sky News

Aug 16, 2025 | Featured, Video
Screenshot 2025 08 13 At 11.01.48 am

Australia recognising Palestine more about ‘punishing Israel’ – Joel Burnie on Sky News

Aug 13, 2025 | Featured, Video
Screenshot

Jewish community feels ‘disappointment’ with Anthony Albanese: Colin Rubenstein on Sky News

Aug 12, 2025 | Featured, Video

RECENT POSTS

Screenshot 2025 08 29 At 7.49.54 am

IRGC has ‘dramatically increased’ number of global operations: Bren Carlill on Sky News

Image: Khamenei.ir

AIJAC welcomes steps against Iran and IRGC following revelation of their role in antisemitic attacks in Australia

More than 1,000 truckloads of aid waiting to be picked up inside Gaza at the Kerem Shalom crossing on June 18, 2024 (Source: COGAT)

Fact Sheet: Aid into Gaza

The theft of aid has gravely affected humanitarian efforts (Image: X)

Gaza ‘famine’ claims obscure the truth, and the lies are increasing hatred

The E1 area (Image: Wikimedia Commons)

E1 announcement unhelpful, but many claims about it are untrue

SORT BY TOPICS