The Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council (AIJAC) is the premier public affairs organisation for the Australian Jewish community.
AIJAC conveys the interests of the Australian Jewish community to government, media and other community organisations. Our dedicated professionals produce regular commentary and analysis on developments in the Middle East, Asia and Australia.
AIJAC endeavours to highlight and counteract instances of anti-Israel bias and misinformation in the Australian media and wider public debate.
AIJAC seeks to be part of efforts to further Australia’s development as a tolerant and harmonious multicultural society and identify and expose forms of extremism and fundamentalism.
AIJAC has exposed incidents of racism and antisemitism in Australia and online, often acting in concert with other ethnic community organisations, as well as suggesting to governments possible legislative and educative measures to counteract the pernicious effects of racism.
AIJAC experts play important roles in international human rights activity, interfaith dialogue and increasing understanding of Israel and related issues.
Some of AIJAC’s main activities include:
- A renowned visitor program, bringing international speakers to private and public events around Australia and New Zealand;
- AIJAC’s Rambam Israel Fellowship program annually sponsors visits to Israel by selected senior journalists, politicians, political advisers, senior public servants and student leaders;
- AIJAC Forum unites young professionals with a desire to get involved in our activities in our nation’s capital and around the country;
- Our monthly magazine Australia/Israel Review (or AIR) highlights developments in the Middle East affecting Israel and public policy issues of interest to the Australian Jewish community. It is available in both a print edition and a digital interactive PDF. Selected articles from each edition are available here.
- The Fresh AIR blog features the latest AIJAC opinion and research, while Update from AIJAC is our email bulletin featuring opinion and analysis sourced from a wide variety of international outlets. You can register to receive either or both of these free email services from our subscriptions page.
AIJAC also has an active association with the American Jewish Committee in a global partnership designed to bring about a greater understanding of the issues and challenges lying ahead for world Jewry.