UPDATES

Egypt restoring order to Sinai

August 17, 2011 | Daniel Meyerowitz-Katz

Egypt restoring order to Sinai
news_item/2512696739.jpg

Following on from this post concerning the growing lawlessness in the Sinai, Haaretz has reported today that Egypian authorities have now taken action to prevent the situation from deteriorating further.

Egyptian security forces, pushing ahead with a crackdown on armed groups in lawless northern Sinai, on Tuesday seized four armed militants as they prepared to blow up a gas pipeline in the city of el-Arish, security sources said.

They said the military operation – dubbed Operation Eagle – began this week after a spike in attacks on security forces in Sinai since the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising in February.”Security guards captured four militants at the pipeline site. They possessed explosives and weapons,” one security official, who declined to be identified, told Reuters.

The pipeline, target of much resentment from many Egyptians who say that the Mubarak government had been selling gas to Israel at below market rates, was attacked five times this year.

… An Egyptian army source said that Egypt, in coordination with Israel, deployed about 1,000 soldiers for the operation to root out an estimated 1,200-1,300 armed militants who had taken advantage of the security vacuum following Mubarak’s downfall.

Egyptian security sources said the militants captured on Tuesday were the second group to be seized since the army operation began last week. On Monday, troops attacked militant hideouts, killing one gunman and arresting 11 militants, according to security sources.

That the SCAF is cracking down on Islamist militants near its border with is an encouraging sign. Hopefully, we will see more such action – especially against the groups engaged in smuggling weapons to Hamas in Gaza.

Daniel Meyerowitz-Katz

Tags:

RELATED ARTICLES

RECENT POSTS

Screenshot 2025 08 29 At 7.49.54 am

IRGC has ‘dramatically increased’ number of global operations: Bren Carlill on Sky News

Image: Khamenei.ir

AIJAC welcomes steps against Iran and IRGC following revelation of their role in antisemitic attacks in Australia

More than 1,000 truckloads of aid waiting to be picked up inside Gaza at the Kerem Shalom crossing on June 18, 2024 (Source: COGAT)

Fact Sheet: Aid into Gaza

The theft of aid has gravely affected humanitarian efforts (Image: X)

Gaza ‘famine’ claims obscure the truth, and the lies are increasing hatred

The E1 area (Image: Wikimedia Commons)

E1 announcement unhelpful, but many claims about it are untrue

SORT BY TOPICS